Cat advice hotline

Did you find this useful? Thank you for your feedback. Two hoglets on a blanket. RSPCA staff feeding fish to harp seal pup. Find out more about the work we do rehabilitating wild animals. RSPCA handler playing with otter cub, Rita. Find your nearest wild animal rehabilitator.

The RSPCA helps animals in England and Wales. Pet Poison Helpline, a 24-hour animal poison control center for pet owners and veterinarians dealing with a poisoned pet. Call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately. Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service available throughout the U. Canada, and the Caribbean for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet. We have the ability to help every poisoned pet, with all types of poisonings, 24 hours a day. Our knowledge and expertise of pet poisons will put your mind at ease when dealing with a potential emergency.

59 per incident fee, payable by credit card. This fee covers the initial consultation as well as all follow-up calls associated with the management of the case. How to Treat a Poisoned Cat. Due to a cat’s curious nature and obsession with cleaning, cats can sometimes land themselves into serious situations. Due to a cat’s curious nature and obsession with cleaning, cats can sometimes land themselves into serious situations. Some of the most common poisons cats usually encounter are insecticides, human medicines, poisonous plants, and human food that contain chemicals that cats cannot metabolize.

To treat a poisoned cat, start with Step 1 below. Recognize the symptoms of poisoning. Get your cat to a well-ventilated area. When poisoning is suspected and your cat is lying down, unconscious or weak, immediately remove your cat from the area, and transfer it to a well-ventilated and well-lit place. Sick and wounded cats are likely to bite and scratch because they are upset and afraid. When a cat feels unwell, or is anxious, her first instinct is to hide. If the cat has been poisoned you will need to monitor her symptoms and so it is not appropriate to let her hole up somewhere.

In a gentle but firm manner, pick the cat up and take her to a safe room. The kitchen or bathroom is ideal, since you will need access to water. If the poison is within the area, cautiously remove it away from reach of any pets or humans. An experienced vet or helpline can help you calm down and will be able to give you clear instructions on what to do or what antidote to give to your poisoned cat. Always remember that the chances of your cat surviving will be higher if you immediately call the vet. This should be the very first thing to do after stabilizing your cat.

Pet poison hotlines are not funded by the government like human poison hotlines are, so they usually charge a fee to help pay for the service. Identify the poison if at all possible. This will help you decide on whether it is correct or inappropriate to make the cat vomit. In addition, try to estimate how much the cat has consumed. Was it a new box? Your first contacts should be your vet, the pet poison hotline, and the product manufacturer.

If you have access to the internet, search the active ingredient. Some products may be safe when ingested and if you find that out, you need go no further. If the substance is poisonous, the next step is to decide whether to make the cat vomit or not. Avoid giving your cat a home remedy unless instructed. Do not give your kitty any food, water, milk, salt, oil or any other home remedy unless you know what poison the cat ingested and the specific medication or first aid. Giving any of these without any consultation or instruction from a veterinarian or a Pet Poison Helpline may worsen the condition of your cat. The vet or the helpline will have more knowledge and skill in determining what to do or what to give your poisoned cat. Ask the vet or poison hotline before making your cat vomit. Do not make your cat do anything without instruction from a vet or a pet poison helpline. The poison was eaten within the past two hours. If it was eaten more than two hours ago, it has already been absorbed, so vomiting is useless. The cat is conscious and able to swallow. The poison is NOT an acid, strong alkali or petroleum product. Know how to handle acids, alkalis and petroleum products.

Bookmark the permalink.